Window Safety Week 2021
Seaway Manufacturing joins several industry associations and the National Safety Council in observing Window Safety Week. First observed in 1997, Window Safety Week runs from April 4 through April 9 this year.
Early April is a time when many begin to open windows for greater ventilation, and this can create safety hazards, especially for children. Window Safety Week has a dual focus on window safety and fall prevention as well as educating family members on the operation of windows as an escape route in the event of an emergency.
The Window Safety Task Force offers these tips:
- Avoid the placement of furniture near windows to prevent children from climbing
- Do not rely on insect screens to prevent a window fall
- Keep children’s play away from open windows and doors
- Install building code-compliant devices designed to limit how far a window will open or window guards with release mechanisms to help prevent a fall
- Teach your child how to safely use a window to escape during an emergency